Saturday, March 24, 2012

friday fiasco - work history

This FF seemed easy enough to join in on. Basically I just need to tell you where I have worked throughout my life.

Besides working as a slave around my house as a child, I guess I have had more jobs than I thought I have. Starting as a pre-teen, I babysat for a few families in my ward.

This is how I pictured babysitting to be every time:


This is how it actually was every time:


I was so young and I didn't know how to handle some situations all that well. Not to mention watching kids is exhausting. I don't know how stay-at-home mom's do it! Buuuuut don't get me wrong. I love babysitting Nitty cause she is soo good all the time haha. And I still don't know how to properly change a diaper *insert shamed look here*.

In Junior High I moved on to bigger and better (?) things. I started cleaning at Raymond Business Services for these guys:


I think that picture is a bit of a misconception. That picture is what accountants do only during tax season. The rest of the year it's more like this:


Anyways, I would come in after school and clean for about a half an hour. Probably 15 minutes every day consisted of this:


I don't even know how many trees I helped kill. Probably a whole forest. I swear I shredded more paper than even this:


During my working days at RBS, the company went through a name change to:


Let me tell you, it took me a long time to be able to pronounce Vucurevich [voo-KER-a-VICH]. This skill was handy in my final year working there but I'll tell you about that later.

In grade eleven I decided that I wanted, nay, neeeded to get out of Raymond for the summer. I actually applied to work for the Raymond Museum and I would have gotten the job, but I wanted more moola and an independent life. I lived with Alex and all her glorious roommates for a bit in Calgary then moved to Jessica's house for the rest of the summer. I worked for Amber's Quality House Cleaning. Wow those days were filled with disgusting things that made for awesome stories. Just think poo, hair, and pot.

I moved back home for my last year of High School and I asked for my cleaning job at Card Vucurevich & Associates back. Apparently my boss didn't think I was coming back so he gave the job to his daughter. He then offered me a desk job, so I took it. That is where my skill at saying "Vucurevich" came in handy because I had to answer the phone saying, "Card Vucurevich and Associates, Paige speaking." A lot of older people didn't realize that the name had changed and they got confused a lot.

This helped me to realize how much I despise desk jobs. I had to file, answer phones, file some more, and put up with one particular accountant who didn't want to work so he just came and talked to me. I actually worked with my mom a lot because she got a job as a receptionist there. I painted the bathrooms and I even  took down every Styrofoam ceiling tile and painted them. If they were damaged I had to replace them. Here is what I mean by ceiling tiles:


Let's not even get into the box system! Entering hundreds of client info into a computer = extremely time consuming and sometimes extremely frustrating.

After I graduated I moved back to Calgary and I worked for Amber's Quality House Cleaning again. Oh the joys. After my first year of university I went back. After my second year I was unemployed for two months and then went back. After my third year I got my first real (I say real because I was working for someone I didn't know and I actually had to apply for it) job at none other than my favorite greenhouse:


I loved working here because I worked with girls my age and we got to talk pretty much all day when the store was slow. I was a cashier. After I was laid off I went back to none other than...Amber's Quality House Cleaning!!! Such a surprise I know! My last year at UofC I have worked for them quite a lot which is great because I love extra monies.

In August Alex landed me another cleaning job. I cleaned a gymnastics center early in the morning for a week. Then my employer asked if I wanted to clean her sister's house once every three weeks and I accepted.

I am going back to Sunnyside this summer and if I'm not accepted to UofA for September, I will find a job as an SLPA (Speech-Language Pathologist Assistant) for a year and apply for grad school again the next year. Maybe I'll get a part time job this summer, too, but we shall see!

I guess this wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. The pictures sure helped.


4 comments:

  1. Boring? I should say not. Wow. I'm impressed with your skills to even say that name. ; ) What a mouth full.

    Good luck Paige with the adventures this summer and I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get into UofA for Sept. Sounds like things are really happening for you. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I read your post before posting mine cause I forgot that I worked at RBS TOO!!! I had no idea you worked at RBS answering phones and such and the like and things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for joining in! I loved this. Also I totally forgot that I worked at RBS too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! I want to do this Friday Fiasco! Why didn't I read your blog on Friday when it would have mattered? Awesome work history, btw. Those are skills which will make you an awesome homemaker!

    ReplyDelete